A top tasting dish that suits any fish. This is great for any offcuts you have or the bulk of the fish also. Also works well for fish that may go soft after freezing, I'm looking at you Tailor! An Avenger Fishing favourite, thai fish cakes can be served to even the fussiest of eaters - the ones who don't like the taste of fish.
Click here to return to all Recipes
Fish cakes prepared and ready for the pan
The finished fish cake product
- 500g white fish fillets
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 35g (1/4 cup) cornflour
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 3 green shallots, ends trimmed, finely chopped
- 50g green beans, finely chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Sweet chilli sauce, extra, to serve
- Sides: anything you like, please see our sides page here for easy to prepare sides. We mean easy, we try to stick to store bought sides, we're fishermen here at avenger fishing charters, not chefs!
- Place the fish in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Add the coriander, cornflour, fish sauce, sweet chilli sauce and egg, and process until well combined.
- Transfer the fish mixture to a large bowl. Add the shallot and beans and stir until well combined.
- Get your sides ready, cooking the fish cakes doesn't take long!
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Place 4 egg rings in the pan. Divide the fish mixture into 8 equal portions. Press 1 portion into each egg ring.
- Cook for 4 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with the remaining fish mixture, reheating the pan between batches.
- Serve! I make a couple extra to eat cold the next day for a snack on the boat, and to make a couple of guests jealous, just because :)
Thai fish (Mackerel) cakes, ready to go
Our 5 hour ocean, reef and game Gold Coast fishing charter fee is $99 per person. Three boarding times are available ~ 6.00, 11.15am or 4.30pm.
Our 10 hour deep sea, reef and game Gold Coast fishing charter needs to be a whole boat booking for up to 8 people. Please see below for information.
You can book half day trips individually, pair, group, anything - We can build the party to a comfortable maximum of 12 guests.
Alternatively you can book the whole boat for your group only:
Half day fishing charter Monday to Friday is $1080 for up to 12 guests (This special price is $90 per person if you bring the whole 12!).
Half day fishing charter Saturday, Sunday is $1140 for up to 12 guests. Public holiday (Australia day, Good Friday, Easter Monday etc) rates apply.
Full day deep sea fishing charter monday to friday price is $1800, weekend price is $2100. Full day trips are generally capped at 8 people maximum, please enquire for more information. Lunch is not included due to insurance restrictions, dietary requirements, personal tastes etc. Please bring any food or drink you require. Example recommended food to bring is premade and individually wrapped sandwiches or breadrolls and other individually packaged items. Making food on board is difficult, it is recommended that food is premade and easy to handle once on board.
Included in all trips is all the help and advice you want from the skipper and deckhand (just ask!), iced water, soft drinks, tea, coffee, biscuits, sunscreen, bait, tackle and quality Penn and Shimano rods and reels. You can keep, release or share legal fish you catch. If your captures are kept, they are bled, gutted, iced and bagged for your conveinience.
HOW DO I ENQUIRE, BOOK AND PAY?
Text or call 0400775511 (Phone call hours are 9am-5pm, text and email anytime) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. To secure your booking we require your Visa or MasterCard details. We obtain a sufficient funds approval but do not take funds unless you no-show on your booking. Payment by cash, Visa or MasterCard is taken on the boat after boarding.
Our cancellation policy: Every week we receive a large amount of excuses to cancel at short notice, ranging from sickness, emergency, family issue etc. We know things happen, they happen to us too. Please let us know if you need to cancel as early as you can. We often turn away a large amount of people leading up to your booking. If you cancel (or no-show) and we can't refill the spots then we may have to charge you anyway. We don't like to do this, we have to do this to survive as a business. We hope you understand - in the event you cancel, we try to fill your booking, if unsuccessful we will debit your Visa or MasterCard and/or cancel your gift vouchers.